Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Beyond the Gender Binary

 By Alok Vaid-Menon

Young Adult Non-Fiction

Reviewed by Britany from the Winkler Branch

Favourite Line: "This is not about erasing men and women but rather acknowledging that man and woman are two of many--stars in a constellation that do not compete, but amplify one another's shine." This line was very powerful to me.  It shows that no one wants to invalidate what makes someone feel the most themselves, we (as gender nonconforming people) just want the ability to do the same and exist the same within society, without shame, hate or judgment.

Additional Comments: I really enjoyed this read.  It was a rapid read, however, an extremely informational one.  I recommend this book to everyone!  I have done quite a bit of reading into this subject myself, and I still found information that I wanted to look up later to dive into further.  I also think this book  would be good for someone who needs somewhere to start! It's not overwhelming on information and gives you a really good insight on a gender non-conforming person's typical daily life/thoughts.

To place this book on hold, click here.

1 comment:

Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More

By Courtney Carver Adult Non-Fiction Reviewed by Jill from the Winkler Branch  "Project 333 is an invitation to create space in your cl...