Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Outsider

By Stephen King

Adult Fiction

Reviewed by Gail-Morden Branch Administrator

    I have been a Stephen King fan forever.  When he publishes a new book it isn't IF I will read it, but WHEN will I get to it?

    The Outsider is part mystery, part thriller, and part science fiction.  As always, King has a way of climbing into your brain and leading you through his story.

    This story starts with the brutal murder of a young boy.  All the evidence points toward a good guy that everyone likes, a pillar of the community. The first 1/3 of the book had me bouncing back and forth as evidence argued both his innocence and his guilt.  Then came the twist and what a twist it was.  I wondered how I could still have 2/3 of the book to read after everything that had already happened.

    I haven't loved all of King's books but this one held my interest from beginning to end.  The twists and turns kept me wanting to jump ahead but I couldn't because the story had captured me completely and it needed to be read in order.

    While I loved the story, I have to admit I didn't love the ending.  It felt a little too convenient, like they gave the author X number of pages and he had to wrap it up.  Fast.  Having said that, I would still recommend this book because the story is good enough to make up for the ending, and another reader may like the ending better than I did.

Place the book on hold here

Place the audiobook on hold here





1 comment:

  1. I have been on the fence about reading this book since I am not a huge fan of horror, but I think this review has convinced me to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

The Race

  By Clive Cussler and Justin Scott Adult Fiction Thriller, Mystery, Adventure, Suspense     Isaac Bell is back and this time he's facin...