Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Book of Dust

 By Philip Pullman   

Book One in La Belle Sauvage Series

Young Adult Fiction

Reviewed by Cathy-SCRL Director

    I read the 'His Dark Materials' series by Philip Pullman a few years ago and when I discovered 'The Book of Dust', I realized I missed the whole beginning of Lyra's life.  It was kind of like starting a movie halfway through. I had lots of ah-ha moments!

    I loved the main character, Malcom.  he was a kind, gentle boy who had a love of learning and a good heart.  He felt drawn to baby Lyra, who was being cared for by nuns.  When a terrible flood happened, Malcolm saved Lyra from both the water and the dangerous people who were trying to harm her.  The tension of their escape was scary and exhilarating.  The fact that Lyra is alive does not ruin the story but sets the stage for the following books and series by this author.

To place this book on hold, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future

  The Manitou Book Club discusses The Future By Catherine Leroux 2024 Canada Reads Winner Adult Fiction     No short paragraph would describ...